Square Eye designs, builds & supports WordPress sites for law firms and other businesses. Our clients include some of Britain’s top barristers’ chambers (Essex Court Chambers, Monckton Chambers, Garden Court Chambers and 20 more); law firms in the UK and Caribbean; the aid & development wing of the Anglican Communion; international financial consultancy Bovill; four Bar Associations and other membership organisations; leading educational non-profits and many more.
While the majority of our clients are based in London, our team is remote and spread across several countries. Our work involves everything in the design-and-build process, plus providing ongoing support in a number of areas: hosting, technical support, new feature development, design changes, SEO, social media, optimisation, training and more. We have 50+ ongoing support clients who keep us busy with a stream of requests.
We’re seeking a senior WordPress developer to help with:
- developing features on new website build projects
- handling ongoing support requests
- coding layout templates from Sketch or Photoshop designs (possibly, although we may have someone else to handle this work)
- working with our Creative Director to develop internal standards, processes, plugins & side projects
We need you to be very familiar with:
- WordPress & the use of plugins & themes
- Custom post types, custom fields & relationships
- PHP functions
- HTML / CSS / SCSS
- Zurb Foundation / Bootstrap or similar
- Data import & export / website migrations
- General web hosting issues e.g. use of control panels, liaison with hosts, SSL certificates, backups
And familiarity with these would help:
- Version control using e.g. Git
- WordPress plugin development
- Minor design changes using Photoshop, Sketch or Illustrator
- Integration with third-party APIs
- Google Analytics / Google Search Console
- On smaller projects, layout builders e.g. Divi, Beaver Builder or (soon) Gutenberg
Popular WordPress plugins and other services we use a lot are:
- Pods & Advanced Custom Fields, for custom post types and fields
- Gravity Forms
- Events Manager Pro
- WordPress SEO by Yoast
- WP All Import Pro / WP All Export
- Mailchimp / Campaign Monitor / Constant Contact / ActiveCampaign
- Postmark (mail service)
At the start you would liaise directly with our senior team members, and we would offer you training & support; but we are looking for someone with good enough English and clear, professional communication skills, so that you can communicate in writing directly with clients where appropriate in future. We also need a self-starter who can take a brief and get the job done, researching solutions and learning new skills where needed.
Communication & project management
To run our business and communicate with each other & our clients, we use many tools of which the most important are Slack, Basecamp, Zendesk and MinuteDock (timesheeting).
Timetable & time zones
Our clients (and our team lead) work in UK office hours; you wouldn’t need to work 9am to 6pm London time, but a large overlap with that is expected. Flexible hours are fine as long as you either (a) work an agreed number of hours a month or (b) bill us for the time you do work.
We’re open to either full-time or part-time contractors; if part-time, we are expecting that at least half your time would be spent working for us. White label agencies might not be appropriate (unless you’re happy to use our tools & systems rather than yours) but if you think yours might fit our needs, please ask.
To apply, or to ask questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications should include a cover letter, full CV, examples of past work, verifiable testimonials or details of referees we can contact, and indications of your monthly or hourly rate.